DMGT005j Overview of the Endocrine System
This course provides an overview of the endocrine system including a discussion of the major disorders that can affect it.
The human endocrine system includes specialized cells, tissues and organs referred to as endocrine glands. These glands secrete hormones in the blood stream or to a specific site in the body. This system works directly with the nervous system which sends and receives signals from the endocrine system to produce, secrete and/or inhibit hormones. This course provides an overview of the endocrine system including a discussion of the major disorders that can affect it. To successfully complete this course you are required to visit each page and score 80 percent or better on the final test.
- Identify and locate the glands of the endocrine system;
- Describe the general functions of the endocrine glands;
- List specific hormones and their function;
- Discuss how negative feedback mechanisms regulate hormone secretion;
- Describe common disorders of the endocrine system;
- Describe some changes with the aging process and how they affect the endocrine system.
Continuing education: 1.0 contact hour by the Commission for Case Manager Certification (CCMC); 1.0 Category I CPE credits by the Board for Orthotist/Prosthetist Certification (BOC); VGM Education is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program.