Skin breakdown is a serious problem even here in the United States with the exceptional medical services, care and technology available to us. This course reviews the causes of and risk factors associated with skin breakdown, the stages of pressure ulcers, the methods used to heal pressure ulcers, and the ways to the prevent or reduce the incidence of skin breakdown.
1. List the major extrinsic causes of skin breakdown and the mechanisms of damage;
2. List at least five intrinsic risk factors for skin breakdown and how they contribute to skin breakdown;
3. Describe at least four harmful effects of skin breakdown;
4. Provide a basic description of the different stages of pressure ulcers as defined by the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel;
5. Define the principles of pressure redistribution and at least three ways to reduce peak pressures for wheelchair users;
6. Describe at least two ways to reduce friction and shear for wheelchair users;
7. Describe at least three ways to reduce intrinsic risk factors for skin breakdown;
8. List the items that should be included in documentation of a skin breakdown in the medical records.
To successfully complete this course, you must attain a minimum score of 80% on the final exam and complete the course training survey.
Continuing education: VGM Education is authorized by IACET to offer 0.2 CEUs for this program. RESNA and NRRTS approve the 0.2 IACET CEUs for recertification.
Significant discounts are available to VGM and US Rehab Members! Call us prior to purchase for your discount code: 800-987-7342.
- Additional Information